Starting a business is not only for grown-ups; even students can start their businesses. Interestingly, children studying in schools, colleges, and professional educational institutions have embraced combining academics with earnings. Additionally, kids are exposed to a high level of technology and entrepreneurship from an early stage, which helps them start a business as they grow up. Notably, startups launched by students offer solutions to problems faced by people in society and boost our nation’s economy. We will discuss some startup ideas for students in India in this blog.
Startup Culture In India
Let’s discuss the startup culture in our country. Many people in India are becoming entrepreneurs and starting their businesses. Bankers, teachers, homemakers, and skilled professionals from diverse fields find a startup highly profitable and worth pursuing. Moreover, India has a perfect startup ecosystem, thanks to the initiatives and schemes of the Government of India. Additionally, the government is giving funds and grants for starting a business and has eased the process of getting the necessary approvals.
Importance Of Entrepreneurship For Students
Let’s know why entrepreneurship is essential for a student. Entrepreneurship is taught as a subject in school these days. This course teaches children basic and advanced business concepts from an early age before entering the workforce. Additionally, teaching business helps a child think of creative solutions to everyday societal problems, giving rise to new and creative startup ideas for students.
Moreover, they learn skills that help them launch their business when they leave school. It also helps them do well in a job or career. Also, it helps students gain leadership skills, making them successful in starting a profitable startup.
Startup Ideas For Students In India
Tech-Based Startup Ideas
To begin with, let’s know some technology-based startup ideas for students in India. Students who have technical skills can start a business based on their expertise.
1. Firstly, if you can solve technical problems, you can offer your services to people who need your help. Also, it is easy to start this business from home. You can post flyers and posters of your ad in your school or market for promotion if you like. Also, you can just contact the customers through phone or email. Having a website will be an additional advantage for your business.
2. Students who know how to repair a computer can do the repair work at home. Ask people around you to contact you if they need to fix a PC or laptop.
Educational Startup Ideas
Students can start EduTech startups based on a personalized education for other students. You can teach a subject or topic by using learning software. For example, you can use EdTech tools like Buzz, Electude, Camtasia, Compass Learning, Moodle, Thinking Maps, and Canvas for teaching and learning.
Some of the startup ideas for students in India in the field of education include:
1. If you are planning an education startup, consider using adaptive learning systems for personalized learning. In addition, include automated instructions and help from an instructor in your courses. Moreover, you can Improve the efficiency of your teachers or faculty with automated assessment and feedback. You can use intelligent tutoring systems in your startup instead of doing everything traditionally.
2. Also, you can start an online tutoring platform if you are good at a subject. There is immense scope for growth if students offer online classes and start a business of tuition. In addition, online tutoring is convenient, flexible, and easy for needy children who want to learn.
- Moreover, you can make video lessons in English for Cambly if you are good at English.
- You can become an instructor at TutorOcean.
- In addition, you can share your knowledge and expertise in a subject on TutorMe.
- Consider teaching at Preply. You can also teach arts and hobby subjects on this platform.
- Moreover, you can become an online tutor in Wyzant.
3. Starting a gamified learning app is a good idea if you plan to start an online class. Students who are good at a subject can prepare to create an app that helps others learn through games in a fun way. In addition, you must design the content and design of the app according to the subject you want to teach.
E-Commerce Startup Ideas
Some of the startup ideas for students in India in the field of ecommerce include:
1. Students can launch an online store that sells second-hand textbooks and study materials. For this, they will need to have a website where they can open the store. Used books are in great demand from students, and the business can be very profitable.
2. You can also consider starting a subscription-based service for stationery supplies. Many students buy stationery from online stores that offer them on a subscription basis. Therefore, it can be a good startup idea for students.
3. Another startup idea is starting an online platform for gadgets and equipment rental to other students.
Health And Wellness Startup Ideas
Some of the startup ideas for students in India in the field of healthcare can be:
1. If students or youngsters understand mental health issues, they can start a support platform for other students. You can launch a startup of mental health support and offer your services to students undergoing mental health problems.
2. If you like fitness and workouts, you can start a fitness and wellness app for students. Also, you’ll need to include some exercises, yoga workouts, and health tips in your app.
3. Additionally, starting a healthy food delivery service that supplies food to hostels and campuses can be a profitable startup idea for a student.
Sustainable And Socially Responsible Startup Ideas
You may also consider startup ideas for students in India for sustainable and socially responsible startups:
1. Notably, if you are a student passionate about clothes and fashion, you can start a clothing startup. In addition, launch a sustainable fashion and clothing rental platform. Interestingly, students who can’t afford to buy expensive garments prefer to rent clothes. Therefore, you can consider a startup of rental fashion for your fellow students.
2. Students who know green campus initiatives can start a business of renewable energy initiatives for campuses. Additionally, you can offer services in rainwater harvesting, restricted parking, electric vehicles, waste recycling, paperless office, LED lights, using cycles, a digital library, and other initiatives for a campus.
Social Service Startup Ideas
Next, let’s know the social startup ideas for students in India:
1. Students interested in social service can launch a startup for skill development platforms for underprivileged students. You can offer skill-based learning to children from low-income families and marginalized sections of society. Additionally, it will be helpful to school dropouts and unemployed youth. Moreover, you can start vocational courses for needy students.
2. Starting an NGO on education and literacy is also a suitable business idea and a social initiative for a young college student. In addition, you can start an NGO to teach girls from low-income families or rural areas. This will also help children from orphanages in getting an education.
3. Beginning a startup of community-driven efforts for environmental conservation is suitable for students concerned about environmental issues. Firstly, you need to identify the problems related to the environment and offer community-based services in that area. Secondly, you must form self-help groups of women and start a community service for environment conservation.
Funding Options For Student Startups
1. Mudra Scheme
Notably, the government of India offers many funding options for startups, including startups by students. It includes the MUDRA scheme for getting a loan for starting a business. This scheme encourages people from rural places to start a business. Additionally, you can take a loan of up to 10 lakh rupees through the Mudra program.
2. Startup India Initiative
It offers funding till a startup is 7 years old. However, the maximum limit for getting the benefit of financing for biotech businesses is 10 years.
3. Atal Innovation Mission
There are some other schemes like the Atal Innovation Mission program. Niti Aayog started the scheme. Notably, people who want funds under this scheme can get a loan of up to ten crore rupees. Additionally, startups working in health, education, and other areas can apply for the scheme.
4. Startup India Seed Fund Scheme
The Startup India Seed Fund Scheme helps new businesses get funding from the government. Firstly, you can get a loan of up to five crore rupees under this finance program. Secondly, the scheme allows you a loan of twenty lakh rupees for developing a business idea. Also, you get a further loan of up to 50 lakh rupees for the development and growth of your business.
5. eBiz portal
The eBiz portal runs in 5 states of India and offers the best partnership and collaboration between government and businesses.
Incubators, Accelerators, And Mentorship Programs
1. Startup Incubators
They help startups, and business owners get seed funding. Interestingly, it trains business persons on the best business management techniques. Some incubators offer physical space to start a business. Also, you get to collaborate and interact with other businesses and industry partners through an incubator program.
2. Startup Accelerators
These programs offer mentorship for the rapid and fast growth of your business. In addition, you get funding or the benefit of capital. Moreover, the accelerator program helps you do networking.
3. Startup Mentorship Programs
They help you get mentoring or training from an expert in your field. Secondly, it can significantly help to learn how to run and operate a business. Additionally, you can use entrepreneur mentoring software like Mentornity to get training.
We can now assert that starting a business can be a good option for students. There are many types of startups that a student can begin. We have discussed the various startup ideas for students in India in the blog. As a student, you must review the business ideas we discussed and choose a startup category you like.
Additionally, you need to make a proper plan to start and run your business. Also, you can check out the various funding schemes the government of India offers for startups. It is easy to start a business if you have the will to work hard and learn. Notably, you can use the mentoring schemes and learn the trade secrets. In addition, you must research and network with other businesses. We encourage students to tread the path of entrepreneurship and grow in life.